The following job description applies to the title of Junior pharmacist or staff pharmacist level 2 and it’s related to the previous post “How to write pharmacy job descriptions“
The following information are just an example of how a junior pharmacist job description should look like, if you’re preparing your own pharmacy policy, you can tailor the job preferences based on your current institution needs and regal requirements.
- Reports to: Pharmacy director, pharmacy supervisor and senior pharmacists.
- Responsible for:
- Supervising and instructing all pharmacy technicians and pharmacy supportive staff.
- Liaises with: Pharmacy staff, medical and nursing staff.
Junior Pharmacist Job Summary
Junior Pharmacist Duties and Responsibilities
Monitors physician orders / prescriptions / drug policies to ensure dispensing of pharmaceuticals, identification and correction of potential allergic reactions and drug interactions / incompatibilities.
- Prepares, checks and dispenses:
- Unit dose and traditionally dispensed medications.
- Outpatient prescriptions and patient discharged medication.
- Floor stock requests.
- Compounded, manufactured and repacked products.
- Intravenous admixture medications e.g. TPN, and large volume.
- Checks expiry dates, short-dated and overstocked pharmaceuticals and reports them to his / her direct to pharmacy supervisor.
- Participates in the inventory of pharmacy stocks.
- Participates in the pharmacy continuing education program.
- Operates computer for all data entry and generates labels and reports.
- Coordinates technician and pharmacy supportive staff preparing medications for accuracy and quality prior to dispensing in all areas.
- Coordinates technician and pharmacy supportive staff activities in the work areas.
- Insures the pharmacy and other pre-designated areas of drug storage are stocked, equipped and maintained in accordance with appropriate regulations.
- Works on special projects as assigned.
- Provides medication information to medical/nursing personnel.
- Actively participates in patient and family education.
- Assumes designated area of responsibilities in the absence of the pharmacy in-charge and / or supervisor.
- Performs monthly inspection of medication storage areas than the pharmacy.
- Assists in supervision and teaching of ancillary assigned personnel and orientation of new pharmacy personnel.
- Performs other applicable tasks and duties assigned within the realm of his/her knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Participates and attends quality activities, and hospital continuing education program.
- Implements and adheres to applicable laws and regulations like administrative and departmental policies and procedures.
- Report any occurrence not consistent with the operation of the hospital or standard of service for patients, employees or visitors.
- Adheres to proper safety precautions and infection prevention and control.
- Actively participates in the promotion and implementation of patient and family rights.
Junior Pharmacist Qualification, Licensure, Education, Experience, Special Skill
- Education / licensure:
- Bachelors in pharmacy from a recognized university (5 years’ program).
- Valid license to practice.
- Member of a recognized pharmaceutical society.
- Professional experience:
- Min 2 years’ experience in hospital pharmacy or community pharmacy.
- Preference will be given to candidate who has worked at sister hospitals or with the same position in a similar hospital capacity based on a Vacant position and pharmacy assessment program.
- Specialized knowledge:
- Exhibits knowledge in drug absorption, distribution, metabolism, excretion and interaction.
- Knowledge in chemistry, pharmacology, pharmaceuticals, therapeutics, patient care technique, biopharmaceutics, microbiology, quality assurance and medication administration techniques.
- Demonstrates ability in communication, instruction and interacting with other health professionals.
- Should have excellent communication skills and an ability to manage people.
- Demonstrates excellent computer skills.
The following part will be the same at the footer of each job description…
Prepared by: (head of department)
Signature / date:
Signature / date:
I do hereby acknowledge that! Have read and received a copy of my job description. I will abide and follow what is written in my job description according to the rules and regulation of our hospital.
Name of staff:
Badge / ID:
Signature / date: