The following job description applies to the title of pharmacy technician and it’s related to the previous post “How to write pharmacy job descriptions“
The following information are just an example of how a pharmacy technician job description should look like, if you’re preparing your own pharmacy policy, you can tailor the job preferences based on your current institution needs and regal requirements.
- Reports to: Pharmacy director, pharmacy supervisor, senior pharmacists and junior pharmacists.
- Responsible for:
- Duties assigned.
- Liaises with: Pharmacy staff, medical and nursing staff.
Pharmacy Technician Job Summary
- Acts as an assistant to the pharmacist and works under his/her direct supervision in relieving him/her of many non-professional duties.
- Licensed pharmacy technician may be responsible for the operation of controlled and narcotics substance section.
Pharmacy Technician Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains stock levels and stocks control in the assigned and other pre-designed areas e.g. Floor stock.
- Prepare departments / wards floor stock requests
- Monitors inventory of outdated drugs.
- Assists in preparing intravenous solutions some galenicals, and compounding simple preparations.
- Assists in filling prescriptions for outpatient and unit dose order for inpatient
- Assists in preparing intravenous solutions.
- Maintains adequate stock of pre-packed pharmaceuticals.
- Maintains patient profiles.
- Assists in the inventory of pharmacy stocks.
- Checks refrigerator and record the temperature on daily basis at the pharmacy.
- Assists in stock ordering and stock receiving from pharmacy store.
- Ensures cleanliness of works areas.
- Runs errands at the request of the pharmacist.
- Monthly checks the stock and removes, write-up/print-out and pharmaceuticals.
- Keep supplies e.g. Labels, bags, etc. Stocked.
- Participates in hospital and pharmacy continuing education program.
- Participates and attends quality activities.
- Package all drugs returned to the pharmacy store, including expired drugs, short-dated and overstocked
- Operates computer for all data entry and generates labels and reports.
- Performs other applicable tasks and duties assigned within the realm of his/her knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Implements and adheres to applicable laws and regulations like administrative and departmental policies and procedures
- Report any occurrence not consistent with the operation of the hospital or standard of service for patients, employees or visitors.
- Adheres to proper safety precautions and infection prevention and control.
- Actively participates in the promotion and implementation of patient and family rights.
- Participates in patient and family education.
Pharmacy Technician Qualification, Licensure, Education, Experience, Special Skill
- Education / licensure:
- Diploma of Pharmacy from recognized institute or university.
- Valid license to practice.
- Member of a recognized pharmaceutical society.
- Professional experience:
- Min 2 years’ experience in hospital pharmacy or community pharmacy with job performance rating.
- Preference will be given to candidate who has worked at sister hospitals or with the same position in a similar hospital capacity based on a Vacant position and pharmacy assessment program.
- Specialized knowledge:
- Knowledge of drug terminology.
- Demonstrates excellent computer skills.
The following part will be the same at the footer of each job description…
Prepared by: (head of department)
Signature / date:
Signature / date:
I do hereby acknowledge that! Have read and received a copy of my job description. I will abide and follow what is written in my job description according to the rules and regulation of our hospital.
Name of staff:
Badge / ID:
Signature / date: