The following job description applies to the title of Pharmacy supervisor and it’s related to the previous post “How to write pharmacy job descriptions“
The following information are just an example of how a pharmacy supervisor job description should look like, if you’re preparing your own pharmacy policy, you can tailor the job preferences based on your current institution needs and regal requirements.
- Reports to: Pharmacy director.
- Responsible for:
- Pharmacists, technicians, pharmacy supportive staff working in outpatient or inpatient on his/her assigned location
- Liaises with: Pharmacy staff, medical and nursing staff.
Pharmacy supervisor Job Summary
Responsible for the safe and efficient delivery of outpatient or/and inpatient pharmacy services in accordance with departmental policies and procedures and laws of the country.
Pharmacy Supervisor Duties and Responsibilities
Coordinates the work activities of the pharmacists, technicians and pharmacy supportive staff to insure that all prescriptions and all types of unit dose orders and intravenous Preparations are dispensed correctly and efficiently.
- Ensures the patient complaints are handled courteously.
- Ensures that all pharmacy department policies and procedures and other standards are adhered to.
- Supervises and assumes all the duties of the pharmacist in his/her day-to-day dispensing activities (search the site for job description for pharmacists).
- Establishes work schedules and assigns pharmacy staff to specified work areas.
- Maintains system of records and bookkeeping in accordance to hospital and pharmacy policy and procedure.
- Organizes and supervises inventory of pharmacy stocks periodically and determines pharmacy stocks needed.
- Participates in the pharmacy continuing education program.
- Assumes responsibility for the overall operation of the outpatient or/and inpatient pharmacy, IV, TPN, unit dose, repacking, extemporaneous preparations.
- Operates computer for all data entry, labels generation, reports and other computer applications.
- Implicates policy and procedure of medication expiration short-dated and overstocked pharmaceuticals and arranges for the proper disposal of expired medications.
- Responsible for the orientation, training, competency assessment computer access security level and evaluation of all pharmacy staff.
- Perform other applicable tasks and duties assigned within the realm of his/her knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Prepares and recommends pharmacy policies and procedures related to his/her pharmacy section in coordination with the pharmacy director.
- Participates and attends quality activities, and hospital continuing education program.
- Implements and adheres to applicable laws and regulations, administrative and departmental policies and procedures
- Report any occurrence not consistent with the operation of the hospital or standard of service for patients, employees or visitors.
- Adheres to proper safety precautions and infection prevention and control.
- Actively participates in the promotion and implementation of patient and family rights and participates in patient and family education.
Pharmacy Supervisor Qualification, Licensure, Education, Experience, Special Skill
- Education / licensure:
- Bachelors in pharmacy from a recognized university (5 years’ program).
- Valid license to practice.
- Member of a recognized pharmaceutical society.
- Professional experience:
- 10 years’ experience in hospital pharmacy with at least 6 years of these in a Senior position.
- Preference will be given to candidate who has worked at sister hospitals or with the same position in a similar hospital capacity based on a Vacant position and pharmacy assessment program.
- Specialized knowledge:
- Exhibits knowledge in drug absorption, distribution, metabolism, excretion and interaction.
- Knowledge in chemistry, pharmacology, pharmaceuticals, therapeutics, patient care technique, biopharmaceutics, microbiology, quality assurance and medication administration techniques.
- Demonstrates ability in communication, instruction and interacting with other health professionals.
- Should have excellent communication skills and an ability to manage people.
- Demonstrates excellent computer skills.
The following part will be the same at the footer of each job description…
Prepared by: (head of department)
Signature / date:
Signature / date:
I do hereby acknowledge that! Have read and received a copy of my job description. I will abide and follow what is written in my job description according to the rules and regulation of our hospital.
Name of staff:
Badge / ID:
Signature / date: