What is the maintenance of pharmaceutical supply & stock leveling?
Maintenance of pharmaceutical supply & stock leveling is part of the pharmacy policy and procedures.
As usual with most of the policies sample posted here, there is some default data that should be listed in the policy header and footer. Below are some of the info that you need to include in your Maintenance of pharmaceutical supply & stock leveling header:
- Hospital name, obviously.
- Pharmacy department operational policy and procedure, this header just to notify the reader that the following policy belongs to which department.
- Policy code or Number, for filing/indexing purposes.
- Edition Number, same purpose as above.
- Title of the policy, in our case; it would be maintenance of pharmaceutical supply & stock leveling.
- Important dates [date reviewed, approved date, effective date and due for review date].
- Applies to [department] in this case it should be pharmacy department
- And last but not least, you’ll mention the nature of the policy, whether it’s going to be multidisciplinary or department specific. (Department-specific policy)
Maintenance of pharmaceutical supply & stock leveling Policy
This policy describes the stock level of all pharmaceutical items stocked at all pharmacies.
To control ordering, receiving and movement of pharmaceutical supplies at all pharmacies.
- All medication delivered by suppliers or pharmaceutical companies should be received through the pharmacy store.
- All pharmacies are not allowed to request, procure or receive any medication directly from suppliers or pharmaceutical companies.
- Pharmacy Supervisor is responsible to print make an order report and editing the required quantities then send it to the main pharmacy store on the specified scheduled date.
- All medications received should be checked physically against transfer report generated by the pharmacy store.
Procedures and responsibilities
The minimum stock level should maintained all the times as follow:
- One-week requirement for bulky liquid at each pharmacy section.
- Two-week requirement for tablets and other items at each pharmacy section.
The maximum stock level in all pharmacies should be maintained as one-month stock.
Pharmacy Store Supervisor
The lead-time (delivery time) is two working days from the date of submitting from pharmacies to pharmacy store.
You’re almost done and pharmacy maintenance of pharmaceutical supply & stock leveling policy is almost ready, what’s remaining is just a few basic policy layout filling.
- Revisions: Revised as per timescale.
- Distribution: Here you should mention where this policy will be sent, and which departments will get a notification for it:
- Hospital/Medical Director.
- Pharmacy Director.
- Pharmacy Supervisors.
- Pharmacy Store Supervisor.
- Pharmacy Department.
- Signed originals are maintained in the Manual & Indexing Office.
The policy is now finished, and it’s time to get proper signatures, whether your hospital is implementing an electronic signatures, or manual sign and stamp.